LEGAL Case Study
Onsite Backup & Offsite Disaster Recovery: Lee & Thomson
“For the first time in my career, I can now say with confidence that we can both access and restore any data that has passed through our IT systems, almost instantly. This is truly ground-breaking in terms of Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery which together form a critical part of any Legal firm’s IT strategy. This would not have been possible without NETprotocol whose expertise and technical knowledge of the legal sector is second-to-none, and today support 90% of Lee and Thompson’s IT infrastructure.”
Rob Hilton, Head of IT, Lee and Thompson
About Lee and Thomson
A growing and market leading law firm based in London’s West End, Lee and Thompson were established in 1983 and specialise in the media, entertainment and creative industries. They have since grown to represent some of the most recognised musicians, creative talent and sports personalities based all over the world.
With a publicised client list including David Beckham, Queen & Premiership Rugby, data security and accessibility clearly sit at the top of their IT agenda. In his role as Head of IT, Rob Hilton is responsible for progressing Lee and Thompson’s IT strategy, with his priorities centred around ensuring a secure, resilient and scalable IT system.
Lee and Thomson’s Challenge
Rob’s most recent mission has been to adapt a more efficient and scalable back-up solution for Lee and Thompson, which would sustain and support their continued growth plan, whilst also ensuring optimum levels of data security.
They had used a tape back-up solution until quite recently which was dated, slow, and impractical as they grew – making it impossible to accommodate their expanding volumes of highly confidential client data and documentation.
Key Benefits of NETprotocol’s Hybrid Backup Solution:
- On-premise backup to disk, plus offsite replication to Tier3+ UK Data Centre
- Data Replication every 15 minutes, taking seconds to complete
- Reliable, Scalable and Optimum Security – using Enterprise Class Technology
- Able to instantly restore data files from any point in time
- No need for tapes, offsite storage or system downtime
- 50% reduction in associated overheads and costs overall
The Solution & Technology
With the need to bring in support from an IT Consultancy, Lee and Thompson were looking for a partner who could offer bespoke and specialist expertise of the legal sector. Having considered various alternatives, NETprotocol’s hybrid back-up solution was selected which offered a fast and highly secure backup to disk onsite, plus a full replication offsite using their state-of-the-art Tier 3+ data centre facilities.
“Not only was this option far more secure than anything we could have created in-house, it was a quarter of the cost of the other solutions we looked at.” said Rob. “Even more importantly, it also offered us a long-term, scalable solution which can be built upon as our needs and challenges change in future.”
ReadyData and ReadyRecover technology is a complete backup and recovery solution which fits perfectly with the complex needs of legal firms, who require an entirely reliable, efficient and secure process for Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery. ReadyData’s Enterprise Class technology is a unified storage platform with unlimited shapshots, block level replication and native deduplication. It’s next generation file system technology guarantees data integrity, efficient use of storage capacity and minimal impact to computing resources. Full backups are instantly created (every 15 minutes, if required) and can independently be used to quickly and reliably restore files, folders or systems to any platform, physical or virtual.
By deploying the ReadyData and ReadyRecover solution in a hybrid model, the local backups are taken to disk on-premise. The system is then replicated onto NETprotocol’s Tier 3+ UK Datacentre offering complete peace of mind.
The Outcome for Lee and Thomson
Naturally, Rob wanted to demonstrate a clear return on investment to the board at Lee and Thompson and through implementing NETprotocol’s hybrid solution, has been able to provide the following measurable outcomes:
- Backups are now running every 90 minutes rather than 12 hours and are faster than ever, taking only a couple of minutes to replicate data to both disk and offsite locations, in contrast to the previous 6-hour timeframe.
- NETprotocol’s offsite solution reduced the need for storage by 54 times for Lee and Thompson’s 100 user office, reducing associated overheads and costs by a significant 50% overall.
- The ‘pay as you use’ model NETprotocol offers for offsite storage, means that Rob now only pays for what he needs and costs are predictable allowing him to accurately plan budgets in future.
- Lee and Thompson’s data has never been more secure with their entire dataset backed up and replicated 16 times a day to NETprotocol’s Tier 3+ UK based Data Centre, offering them the capability to carry out quick level backups or an entire restoration of their data, as and when required.
- Their new hybrid backup solution now allows them to further differentiate their service to their clients, through demonstrating they have implemented the most secure, robust and reliable strategy possible for Data Security, Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery.
Credentials for NETprotocol’s Tier 3+ UK Data Centre:
- 100% uptime since inception
- Multiple carrier choice
- BIL3 Capable
- PCI Compliance available
- ISO27001 Security
- ISO 14001 Environmental
- ISO 25999 Business Continuity
To find out more about how NETprotocol created this solution for Lee & Thomsom, please click below: