Exam Season: Days of Wi-Fi Compromise Is Over for Schools
Is WiFi Downtime causing issues to your students learning experience?
The wireless edge of the network has become ubiquitous, and so too have our expectations of a reliable and secure connection. As we have become used to the convenience of connecting wherever and however we want, we tolerate the flaws in a typical Wi-Fi connection – pauses in downloads, occasional drop-outs where we must re-connect, and lengthy waits as we try to join a public Wi-Fi network. For our personal browsing, we make a conscious compromise between convenience and reliability because apart from being frustrating at times, no real harm is done. But in a school environment, reliable wireless connectivity can’t be a compromise for school learning, especially when it comes to exam season.
Multi-Channels Don’t Support Modern Learning
Multi-channel Wi-Fi has become the predominant architecture and most of the time, it does a great job. However, there are some situations where multi-channel is not the best choice – particularly in an education environment where needs are widely diverse. There are however alternative solutions that can provide a better experience.
If your school fits in to one or all of the below categories – this may be worth looking in to:
- Dynamic physical environments – Mobile devices, roaming from class to class across campus usually require more AP’s to be deployed to be able to cope – although this then introduces more radio interference and brings more cost.
- Reliable environments – Do you have a need for connectivity to mobile devices, laptops and IPad, where even a momentary loss of data connectivity can have a serious effect?
- Broad location environments – Does your school have many roaming wireless users, where students are moving from one classroom to another but depend on reliable wireless connectivity?
Hybrid Wireless, puts a ‘Blanket’ over your connectivity worries!
What’s needed in today’s fast-paced technology-led schools is a cost-effective Wi-Fi solution that combines the best features of both architectures: multi-channel’s throughput with single-channel’s easy deployment and reliable, seamless roaming connectivity.
Now, with the new Hybrid Wireless solution from Allied Telesis, a Wi-Fi network can be deployed with a mix of channel architectures and administered using the same management tool. Using the name “Channel Blanket” for the single-channel architecture, the Hybrid Wireless APs can offer both multi-channel and Channel Blanket at the same time. Operating at the fastest Wi-Fi speeds available today, they are the ideal choice for reliable Wi-Fi in the challenging environments described above.
- In a dynamic environment, Channel Blanket APs can be deployed in greater numbers than multi-channel APs because their single radio channel does not introduce interference.
- Channel Blanket has the advantage in an environment that requires reliable roaming too. With single-channel, all APs in the network appear as if they are a single AP, so the mobile client only sees that it is connected to one large AP.
- In an environment with a high client density, Channel Blanket can increase the available bandwidth by enabling more APs to be installed in the same area without introducing co-channel interference.
Why Allied Telesis Is the Solution for You
Allied Telesis has given schools the flexibility to configure their wireless LAN to provide multi-channel coverage for some clients and Channel Blanket for others – this is useful when some clients want the best bandwidth, and others need seamless roaming for non-stop connectivity. This Hybrid Wireless solution is an effective alternative to the compromises and work-around of multi-channel Wi-Fi.
To find out more about Hybrid Wireless and how you can have a no-compromise Wi-Fi experience with reduced administration effort at a reasonable cost, contact us or watch this video to see how it works >>
Allied Telesis- Book A Demo Today
Networking specialist, Allied Telesis, provide high-speed wired and wireless access that enables a continuous and uninterrupted connection between your school’s digital learning devices and network infrastructure... Book a demo today
Allied Telesis- Watch More Here
NETprotocol has partnered with network and switching specialist Allied Telesis, to provide reliable and resilient technology solutions to the UK education sector. Why not watch how it works here.